Nice article by David Smith in the Guardian.
"“Primary night, she beats Joe Crowley,” he recalled. “I get phone calls from elected officials and other people and their question is, what’s next? What’s the pathway here? What’s she going to run for? What higher office would she seek? This is literally a few hours after the polls close in the primary. That’s the way DC thinks. Not, hey, what can we do with Medicare for all or this or that or any of the other things?”
As Ocasio-Cortez’s national profile exploded – bringing in $15m in her first electoral cycle and attracting unprecedented demands from foreign heads of state – Trent tried to lay out a long-term strategic map. He suggested upstate New York events to prepare for a statewide Senate run. But she resisted the logic of political careerism."
I'd love it if she became president, and those bozos who threaten to leave the country if she's elected, well, I think they're lying liars, but I hope they're speaking true. People underestimate the fact that nobody cares about them, and as someone who works for Faux News, I would welcome an exodus. I wonder what country they would move to. Give us a realistic plan. What's the country I want to avoid that they're going to?
The pearl clutching and ruffled petticoats of the far right is delicious. The pendulum swings. You get someone so right, we get someone so left. For all the schadenfreude of the far right during the Trump administration, there's going to be schadenfreude on the left when he's gone. I used to think we needed to work together, but these regime years have taught me: Fuckem. Publically, I'm polite and pretend to respect them, but I don't. They're murderers, straight up murderers. At least Luigi Mangione was man enough to admit that he did it.
I have two candidates for the next presidential election: One is a white hetrosexual man who won't upset people by his profile, as if that is what really stopped 6 million people staying home from Biden to Harris, and the other is AOC. Hispanic woman is a hard sell to middle America, but for me her policies probably aren't left wing enough.
"Trent argues, her appeal lies in a rare authenticity – an ability to validate the deep-seated economic anxiety of Americans. “Alexandria has two things going for her. She’s genuinely curious about other people. It’s not like she has to pretend to be. I’ve had politicians ask me, ‘How can I be more genuine?’ Well, that’s probably not going to help if you have to fucking ask me that.
“Two, she is genuinely open about herself. Some people believe that nobody cares what they think or who they are and then other people don’t want you to know who they are. She doesn’t suffer from either of those failings.”"
From Heather Cox Richardson:
Retired conservative judge J. Michael Luttig told MS NOW: “Todd Blanche now becomes the symbol of Donald Trump’s corruption of the rule of law in America and the actual ruin of the Department of Justice of the United States. This is another shameful act of acquiescence, if not obeisance, by the Senate Republicans; they will bear this badge of shame the rest of their lives. Never before in American history has an attorney general been confirmed who was as corrupt as Todd Blanche. The Department of Justice is already in shambles.”
“And,” Luttig added, “he will further ruin the Department of Justice.”
No comments:
Post a Comment